Once upon a time, on an island there lived all the feelings and emotions: Happiness, Sadness, Knowledge, and all of the others, including Love.
One day it was announced to them that the island would sink, so all constructed boats and left, except for Love.
Love wanted to hold out until the last possible moment.
When the island had almost sunk, Love decided to ask for help.
Richness was passing by Love in a boat. Love said:
- “Richness, can you take me with you?”
- “Sorry Love, I can’t. There is a lot of gold and silver in my boat and so there is no place here for you.”
Love next asked Vanity who was also sailing by. Vanity was also ready with the same answer.
- “I can’t help you, Love. You are all wet and might damage my boat,” Vanity answered.
Sadness was close by so Love asked:
- “Sadness, take me along with you.”
- “Oh . . . Love, I am so sad that I need to be by myself!” sadness said in a sullen voice.
Happiness passed by Love, too, but she was so preoccupied with her happiness that she did not even hear when Love called her.
Suddenly, there was a voice:
- “Come, Love, I will take you.” It was an elder.
An overjoyed Love jumped up into the boat, and in the process forgot to ask where they were going. When they arrived at a dry land, the elder went her own way.
Realizing how much was owed to the elder, Love asked Knowledge another elder:
- “Who helped me?”
- “It was Time,” Knowledge answered.
“Time?” thought Love.
Then, as if reading the face of Love, Knowledge smiled and answered:
- “Because only Time is capable of understanding how valuable Love is.”