Archive | September 20, 2013

Bolivian President to Sue the U.S. for Crimes against Humanity*

Bolivian President to Sue the U.S. for Crimes against Humanity*

Bolivian President Evo Morales will file a lawsuit against the US government for crimes against humanity. He has decried the US for its intimidation tactics and fear-mongering after the Venezuelan presidential jet was blocked from entering US airspace.

“I would like to announce that we are preparing a lawsuit against Barack Obama to condemn him for crimes against humanity,” said President Morales at a press conference in the Bolivian city of Santa Cruz.

He branded the US president as a “criminal” who violates international law.

Bolivia’s President Evo Morales talking to media in Austria after his plane was stopped in the country when it was suspected Edward Snowden was on board. Picture: AP/Hans Punz

In solidarity with Venezuela, Bolivia will begin preparing a lawsuit against the US head of state to be taken to the international court. Furthermore, Morales has called an emergency meeting of the Community of Latin American and Caribbean States (CELAC) to discuss what has been condemned by Venezuela as “an act of intimidation by North American imperialism.” 

The Bolivian president has suggested that the members of CELAC withdraw their ambassadors from the US to send a message to the Obama Administration. As an additional measure he will call on the member nations of the Bolivarian Alliance for the Americas to boycott the next meeting of the UN. Members of the Alliance include Antigua and Barbuda, Cuba, Dominica, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Venezuela and Saint Lucia.

“The US cannot be allowed to continue with its policy of intimidation and blockading presidential flights,”
stressed Morales.

The Venezuelan government announced on Thursday that President Nicolas Maduro’s plane had been denied entry into Puerto Rican (US) airspace.

“We have received the information from American officials that we have been denied travel over its airspace,” Venezuelan Foreign Minister Elias Jaua said, speaking to reporters during an official meeting with his South African counterpart.

Jaua decried the move “as yet another act of aggression on the part of North American imperialism against the government of the Bolivarian Republic.”

President Maduro was due to arrive in Beijing this weekend for bilateral talks with the Chinese government. Jaua was adamant that the Venezuelan leader would reach his destination, regardless of any perceived interference.

The US government has not yet made any statement regarding the closing of its airspace to the Venezuelan presidential plane. Puerto Rico is an unincorporated territory of the US.

Relations on the rocks
Washington’s relations with Latin America have deteriorated since the beginning of the year following the aerial blockade that forced Bolivian President Evo Morales’ plane to land in Austria in July. Several EU countries closed their airspace to the presidential jet because of suspicions that former CIA employee Edward Snowden – wanted in the US on espionage charges – was on board. Bolivia alleged that the US was behind the aerial blockade.

In response to the incident, Latin American leaders joined together in condemnation of what they described as “neo-colonial intimidation.”

Later in the year, the revelations on the US’ global spy network released by Edward Snowden did little to improve relations. Leaked wires revealed that the National Security Agency (NSA) had monitored the private communications of both the Brazilian and Mexican presidents.

The Brazilian government denounced the NSA surveillance as “impermissible and unacceptable,” and a violation of Brazilian sovereignty. As a result of US spying Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff has postponed a state visit to Washington in October.

US Denies Visas to Ecuadorian Delegation Attending UN General Assembly

Ecuador’s Foreign Ministry says the US has denied visas to a delegation, which was to travel to the UN General Assembly in New York to present testimony against oil giant Chevron.
In a statement on Friday, the ministry announced that the American Embassy in Quito returned the visas for five Ecuadorian nationals “without any explanation.”

The delegation was scheduled to give testimony during a special event at the UN regarding the environmental impact of the oil giant’s operations in the Ecuadoran region of the Amazon forest.

According to the Ecuadorian government, Chevron is responsible for contaminating two million hectares of the rain forest.

The US oil giant was ordered in 2012 after years of litigation to pay USD 19 billion for polluting the area. However, the oil company has no assets in the Latin American country, which has led the plaintiffs to attempt force payments in Canada, Brazil and Argentina.

Meanwhile, Ecuadorian President Rafael Correa launched a campaign last week titled ‘Chevron’s Dirty Hand’, which aims to seek a global boycott of the oil giant based on its refusal to pay the multibillion fines.

At the time of the launch, Correa said the campaign is to “expose to the world Chevron’s multimillion dollar campaign to discredit this country. It is a campaign that involves taking away preferential tariffs, and boycotting international trade with the United States.”

The involvement of the US government in the matter was revealed when WikiLeaks published a diplomatic cable between US officials in Quito in 2006, which indicated that Chevron had asked help on the matter from Washington.

“In previous meetings, Chevron reps have suggested that the [US government] pressure the [Government of Ecuador] to assume responsibility for the environmental damage in the areas once operated by Chevron.… It does not seem likely that any available inducement would convince the [government of Ecuador] to assume what may amount to billions of dollars of environmental liability,” the exposed cable read.
Chevron insists that the company was cleared from any responsibility for the environmental damages in a 1995 cleanup agreement.

Source*

Related Topics:

U.S. Says Who Can Travel Where!*

Bolivia: Life Exists Beyond the Washington Concensus

Bolivia, Paraguay and… Retrieving Our Backyard!

Mexico Protest Blacked Out By Media

Bolivia Strikes a Nerve in Rich’s Wealth!

Oil vs Communities: Peruvians Turning a Dream into Action

Oil vs. Communities: Has the Chicken Come Home to Roost for ExxonMobil!

What an IMF Loan Cost Argentina, and How They Got Out of It!*

FBI not Allowed in Iceland!

How the NSA Accesses Your Smartphone *

Obama’s Policed State

Nigerian Wins ‘World Muslimah 2013′*

Nigerian Wins ‘World Muslimah 2013′*

By Rizwan Khatik

A Nigerian contestant has been crowned the winner of a beauty pageant for Muslims in Indonesia’s capital, Jakarta. Obabiyi Aishah Ajibola, 21, won the World Muslimah 2013 title on Wednesday.

The 20 finalists, who were all required to wear headscarves, put on a glittering show for the final of Muslimah World, strolling up and down a catwalk in elaborately embroidered dresses and stilettos.

But the contestants from six countries were covered from head to foot, and as well as beauty they were judged on how well they recited Qur’anic verses and their views on Islam in the modern world.

After a show in front of an audience of mainly religious scholars and devout Muslims, a panel of judges picked Obabiyi Aishah Ajibola from Nigeria as the winner.

While the event in a Jakarta shopping mall paled in comparison to Miss World on the resort island of Bali, in which scores of contestants are competing, Ajibola was nevertheless overwhelmed.

Upon hearing her name, the 21-year-old knelt down and prayed, then wept as she recited a Qur’anic verse.

She said it was “thanks to almighty Allah” that she had won the contest. She received 25 million rupiah ($2,200) and trips to Makkah and India as prizes.

Ajibola told AFP before the final that the event “was not really about competition.”
“We’re just trying to show the world that Islam is beautiful,” she said.

Organizers said the pageant challenged the idea of beauty put forward by the British-run Miss World pageant, and also showed that opposition to the event could be expressed non-violently.

Eka Shanti, who founded the pageant three years ago after losing her job as a TV news anchor for refusing to remove her headscarf, bills the contest as “Islam’s answer to Miss World.”

“This year we deliberately held our event just before the Miss World final to show that there are alternative role models for Muslim women,” she told AFP.

“But it’s about more than Miss World. Muslim women are increasingly working in the entertainment industry in a sexually explicit way, and they become role models, which is a concern.”

Hosted by Dewi Sandra, an Indonesian actress and pop star who recently hung up her racy dresses for a headscarf, the pageant featured both Muslim and pop music performances, including one about modesty, a trait the judges sought in the winner.

The pageant, which also featured bright Indonesian Islamic designer wear, is a starkly different way of protesting Miss World than the approach taken by Islamic radicals.

Thousands have taken to the streets in Indonesia in recent weeks to protest Miss World, denouncing the contest as “pornography” and burning effigies of the organizers.

Despite a pledge by Miss World organizers to drop the famous bikini round, radical anger was not appeased and the protest movement snowballed.

The government eventually bowed to pressure and ordered the whole pageant be moved to the Hindu-majority island of Bali, where it opened on September 8.

Later rounds and the September 28 final were to be held in and around Jakarta, where there is considerable hard-line influence.

But there are still fears that extremists may target the event — the US, British and Australian embassies in Jakarta have warned their nationals in recent days of the potential for radical attacks.

More than 500 contestants competed in online rounds to get to the Muslimah World final in Indonesia, one of which involved the contenders comparing stories of how they came to wear the headscarf.

The contest was first held in 2011 under a different name and was only open to Indonesians, Shanti said, but after the media began comparing it to Miss World, it was rebranded as a Muslim alternative to the world-famous pageant.

Because of its popularity, organizers accepted foreign contestants this year for the first time, with Iran, Malaysia, Bangladesh, Brunei, Nigeria and Indonesia represented.

Source*

Related Topics:  

Society Says Your Body Not Your Mind!

Can Common Sense Prevail Over the Veil?

A Dance into the Sublime

Self-Love is a Journey

The Menstrual Bloodline

To Be a Woman

The Emperor’s New Clothes

The Power of Love: Four Women

The Tale of Negativity

Common Core Education Standards Teaches Fourth Graders about Pimps!

Common Core Education Standards Teaches Fourth Graders about Pimps!

When educationalists become gullible, what can we expect from the students?

By Todd Starnes

Fourth grade students in Vermilion Parish, La. were given a homework assignment that included words like “Po Pimp” and “mobstaz,” but school officials said the worksheet was age appropriate based on an education website affiliated with Common Core education standards.

“I try to instill values in my son,” parent Brittney Badeaux told Fox News.

“My goal is for him to ultimately to become a great man, a family man, a well-rounded man. And now my son wants to know what a pimp is.”

Badeaux was helping her 9-year-old son with his homework when she heard him say the words “Po Pimp” and “mobstaz.”

“I couldn’t believe it at first – hearing him read it to me,” she told Fox News.

“So I looked at the paper and read the entire article. It was filled with Ebonics.”

Superintendent Puyau stressed that Vermilion Parish teachers review the content distributed to students and it’s consistently in alignment with Common Core standards.

The worksheet, obtained by Fox Radio affiliate KPEL provided contextual examples of the word “twist.” It included references to tornadoes and the 1950’s dance craze – the “Twist.”
But it also included a paragraph about “Twista” – a rapper with the group Speedknot Mobstaz who performs a single titled, “Po-Pimp.”

“It was really inappropriate for my child,” Badeaux said.

“He doesn’t’ know what a pimp or mobster is.”

She also took issue with the school sending home a worksheet that intentionally misspelled words.

“I try to teach him morals and respect and to speak correctly,” she said.

“It’s hard for a fourth grader to understand Ebonics when you’re trying to teach him how to spell and write correctly.”

Vermilion Parish School Superintendent Jerome Puyau told Fox News the “po-pimp” assignment was aligned to a fourth grade English Language Arts standard for Common Core.

“Out of context, this word is inappropriate,” Puyau said.

“However, within the Common Core standards, they do want us to discuss real world texts.”

 “The Common Core curriculum, like it or not – we have to make our students successful,” the superintendent said.

“We know that in New York proficiency in state testing was very low. We foresee that our students will not be successful unless with align everything to the common core standards.”

And that’s why fourth graders were learning about pimps and mobstaz.

“We want them to read real world texts,” he said.

“We know they will go into a department store and see an album with that language on it. We know that will happen. But is that something they should be reading in the schools?”

Puyau conceded the actual paragraph in the assignment was not appropriate for 9-year-olds – even though Common Core-affiliated education site said it was.

“We are going to edit and audit everything that comes through,” he said.

“In southwest Louisiana we do have high morals. We’re going to utilize everything that we have to ensure our parents that what they are reading is appropriate to grade level.”

Puyau said he takes full responsibility as the superintendent for what happened – but stressed that according to the Common Core standards – the material was age appropriate.

He said there is even more material out there that would cause parents to raise eyebrows and Badeaux said she heard something similar from her son’s teacher.

“The teacher told me this was the best of the worst of the curriculum that was provided to her,” she said.

“We’re not even two months into school. What are they trying to teach him?”

Regardless, the superintendent said the pimp lesson provides a teachable moment for parents and teachers.

“These teachable moments are great to have,” he said.

But try telling that to the mom who had to explain what a pimp is to her 9-year-old son.

“My son doesn’t know what pimps and mobstaz are!” wrote concerned mother Brittney Badeaux in an email to Hot 107.9′s DJ Digital.

“I don’t condone ebonics at his young age.”

“I try to teach my son respect and morals,” Badeaux said.

“My goal everyday (sic) is for him to become better for tomorrow and ultimately grow into a great man!”

Vermilion Parish School Superintendent Jerome Puyau said the worksheet is in accordance with Common Core standards adopted by Louisiana.

“Part of the Common Core is what they call ‘real-world text,’” Puyau explained.

“What are our students reading?”

“Are these students going to see this on the shelves in our department stores?” he continued.

“And the answer is yes. If you search it, the first thing that comes up is the actual song [“Po Pimp”]. This is real-world.”

Puyau said the worksheet was pulled from an education website that aligns itself with Common Core standards.

“The Twist” was controversial in the 50s, Puyau noted, and even the Harry Potter books once raised controversy in his district when a librarian wouldn’t stock the series because of its focus on witchcraft.

The album “Kamikaze,” also mentioned under the rapper’s description, refers to suicide pilots, Puyau said, but this word is taught in history classes.

Badeaux also raised concerns about a similar text exercise that included a detailed description of how a machine gun works. But Puyau stressed that Vermilion Parish teachers review the content distributed to students, and it’s consistently in alignment with Common Core standards.

“We want to make sure that our students have an understanding and teaching of real-world life experiences through words, but there are teachable moments for parents, and there are teachable moments for us as educators.”

Source*

Related Topics:

My Kid Is Reading What? Common Core or Pornography?*

“Common Core” Education Making our Children Stupid!

Home- Schooling Beats Factory Schooling

Globalized Education and One World Government

Indoctrination in Common Core Texts

Islam Next Stage in NWO Common Core Curriculum*

Ten Homeschooled Children Will Be College Students Aged 12*

Former IMF Chief to Stand Trial for Pimping

U.S: Education Standards Fall as Scores Drop