Archive | October 12, 2015

Portugal detains ex-CIA Operative wanted for 2003 Kidnapping*

Portugal detains ex-CIA Operative wanted for 2003 Kidnapping*

By Joseph Fitsanakis

A former officer in the United States Central Intelligence Agency, who is wanted by Italian authorities for her alleged role in the abduction and rendition of a suspected Islamist militant in Italy, has been arrested by police in Portugal. Sabrina De Sousa, 59, was an accredited diplomat stationed at the US consulate in Milan, Italy, when a CIA team kidnapped Hassan Mustafa Osama Nasr from a Milan street in broad daylight.

Nasr, who goes by the nickname Abu Omar, is a former member of Egyptian militant group al-Gama’a al-Islamiyya, and was believed by the CIA to have links to al-Qaeda. Soon after his abduction, Nasr was renditioned to Egypt, where he says he was brutally tortured and raped, and held illegally for years before being released without charge.

Upon Nasr’s release from prison, Italian authorities prosecuted the CIA team that abducted him. They were able to trace the American operatives through the substantial trail of evidence that they left behind, including telephone records and bill invoices in luxury hotels in Milan and elsewhere. In 2009, De Sousa was among 22 CIA officers convicted in absentia in an Italian court for their alleged involvement in Nasr’s abduction. Since the convictions were announced, the U.S. government has not signalled a desire to extradite those convicted to Italy to serve prison sentences. However, those convicted are now classified as international fugitives and risk arrest by Interpol and other law enforcement agencies, upon exiting US territory.

According to The Associated Press, Vice News and Newsweek, De Sousa was arrested at the Portela Airport in Lisbon, Portugal, on Monday. She is believed to have spent two nights in jail before being released on Wednesday. However, De Sousa’s passport was seized by Portuguese authorities, who are now trying to decide whether to extradite her to Italy to face charges for helping kidnap Nasr in 2003, and for failing to appear in court in 2009. Shortly after her conviction, De Sousa told American media that the CIA operation against Nasr in Italy “broke the law”, but had been authorized by the leadership of the CIA. The latter, she said, “abandoned and betrayed” those who carried out Nasr’s abduction, leaving them “to fend for themselves”.

In 2013, another convicted CIA operative, Robert Seldon Lady, who is believed to have been the CIA’s station chief in Milan at the time of Nasr’s kidnapping, was detained while attempting to enter Panama from Costa Rica at a remote jungle border-crossing. Costa Rican authorities said later that “a check on his passport [had] triggered an INTERPOL alert”. However, he was released a day later. According to the Panamanian foreign ministry, Lady was released because “Panama did not have an extradition treaty with Italy and because documentation sent by Italian officials was insufficient”.

Source*

Related Topics:

U.S. Wants to Extradite from Cuba FBI’s Most Wanted*

U.S. University Sues the CIA over War Crimes in El Salvador*

FBI not Allowed in Iceland!

Israel Admits Aiding CIA’s al-Qaeda in Syria*

CIA + Contractors = ISIS in Afghanistan*

CIA not Amused at the Rising Left in Spain*

British SAS Special Forces “Dressed Up as ISIS Rebels” Fighting Assad in Syria*

U.S. Cities Change ‘Columbus Day’ to ‘Indigenous People’s Day’*

U.S. Cities Change ‘Columbus Day’ to ‘Indigenous People’s Day’*

More and more citizens push to acknowledge the fact that America was inhabited before Columbus “discovered” it in the 15th century.

For years, U.S. citizens have been honouring Christopher Columbus on the second Monday of October, but more and more cities across the country are now changing the day from “Columbus Day” to “Indigenous People’s Day.”

The move comes as citizens attempt to quash the glorification of colonization and recognize that America existed and was inhabited by indigenous people before Columbus “discovered it” in the 15th century.

At least 12 cities across the U.S. have changed the holiday’s name and will honour the territory’s indigenous past. Berkeley, California has been observing Indigenous People’s Day since 1992, making it the first city to do so.

Minneapolis, Minnesota, and Seattle, Washington, were the first two major cities to officially change the name. Others include Albuquerque, New Mexico; Anadarko, Oklahoma; Portland, Oregon; St. Paul, Minnesota; and Olympia, Washington; Lewiston, New York; Carrboro, North Carolina; Grand Rapids, Minnesota; Traverse City, Michigan.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, and Fargo, North Dakota, are among other cities considering an official name change to the federal holiday.

The state of South Dakota officially changed Columbus Day to Native American Day in 1990, making the day an official state holiday.

“This is something that I’ve struggled with for a long time,” Sarah Adams-Cornell, an Indigenous activist and member of the Choctaw Nation told local media last month.

“The fact that our country, our state and our city celebrate this holiday around this man who murdered and enslaved and raped indigenous people and decimated an entire population.”

Indigenous groups and supporters have for years been pushing to change the name of the holiday as they have pointed out that it marks the beginning of the violence and genocide that Indigenous people suffered at the hands of the first Europeans. This has included mass slaughters, forced sterilization, enslavement, and forced displacement.

Source*

Related Topics:

Christopher Columbus’s Reign of Terror in the Caribbean

Correcting Columbus Day*

The Flames of the Doctrine of Discovery Burns within the NWO*

Eugenics: Kidnapping of the Indigenous Sioux in South Dakota*

The Vanishing Indigenous Nations of the U.S. – Five Facts*

Police Killing Indigenous Americans at Astounding Rate*

Indigenous Activists Chase McCain off the Navajo Land he intends to Mine*

Obama Changes Mountain’s Name to Its’ Indigenous Name, but Continues to Steal Indigenous Land*

Indigenous Americans against the Canonization of Junípero Serra*

Global Oil Prices Climb as OPEC Claims Recovery All of a Sudden*

Global Oil Prices Climb as OPEC Claims Recovery All of a Sudden*

Since 2014, oil prices have declined significantly, causing serious difficulties for OPEC’s individual commodity exporters.

Global oil prices climbed to more than US$50 per barrel for the first time since July, as OPEC says the market will be “more balanced” in 2016.

Analysts say the market has also been buoyed by a weaker U.S. dollar and expectations that a rise in demand would ease a global supply glut.

There are other geopolitical developments that have also contributed to the price spike, with market participants rebuilding an oil-price risk premium attached to potential production shortages in the Middle East.

The fighting in Syria and, especially, Russia’s recent intervention there, in addition to attacks by Islamic State group extremists on production facilities in Iraq, have raised the risk of production reductions occurring.

Since 2014, oil prices have declined significantly, causing serious difficulties for OPEC’s individual commodity exporters, whose economies are burdened by lack of oil revenue.

Despite calls by some members to reduce production to shore up prices, the bloc has decided not to cut the oil output and stick with its decision to maintain the price of oil below US$50 for now.

In its October report, OPEC stated that fundamental factors of supply and demand, which have weighed on the market for more than a year, have persisted, but are starting to show signs of alleviation.

According to some analysts, Saudi Arabia and the United States – which is not an OPEC member – are responsible for the drop, with U.S. shale flooding the market while the Saudis and their allies within OPEC have maintained their current rate of crude production.

Source*

Related Topics:

Saudi Arabia Faces Collapse as Oil Revenues Decline*

Plunging Oil Prices, ISIS and the Secret U.S – Saudi Deal*

Oil Producing Countries Getting Crushed*

British Empire Spending Increases with Oil and Gas Discovery in Falkland Islands*

British Government Firms Behind ISIS Oil Sales*

Israel begins Drilling for Oil at Syrian Golan Heights*

Nigeria Signs Deal for 36 Oil Wells*

Russian Syrian Jets Strike 53 ISIS Targets in Last 24 Hours Supporting Syrian Troops Offensive*

Russian Syrian Jets Strike 53 ISIS Targets in Last 24 Hours Supporting Syrian Troops Offensive*

Murad Gazdiev has been to the area of Hama where heavy fighting is taking place between ISIS and Syrian troops. The large-scale offensive against the terrorists’ strongholds started after air support from Russian bomber jets.

The Russian Air Force has carried out 55 sorties in the last 24 hours, hitting 53 IS targets in four Syrian provinces and destroying command posts, terrorist training camps and a transfer point, among others.

Sukhoi Su-24M and Su-34 bombers, together with Su-25SM ground support aircraft, bombed ISIS positions in the provinces of Idlib, Latakia, Homs and Hama, the Russian Defense Ministry’s spokesman, Igor Konashenkov, told journalists.

The airstrikes destroyed seven command points, six training camps, six arms depots and a stronghold near the village of Salma in Latakia province.

Russian aircraft have also attacked 24 of the terrorists’ fortified strong points, along with weapons and vehicles stored there.

“Over the last day, Russian warplanes have also eliminated a convoy of terrorist vehicles, a mobile mortar gunnery team and three underground bunker systems,” Konashenkov reported.

A Sukhoi Su-25 ground-support fighter jet, using reconnaissance data obtained by drones, bombed a mobile mortar battery in the Hama province, wiping out three SUVs with mortars mounted on them and a truck of munitions.

Also in Hama province, a Sukhoi Su-24M deployed a guided KAB-500 air bomb and destroyed an Islamic State fortified command post.

A pinpoint strike demolished all [engineering] installations of the terrorists,” Konashenkov reported.

The convoy eliminated near the town of Sukeyk north of Hama consisted of three petrol tankers, a large truck and two SUVs with heavy machine guns mounted on them. All the vehicles have been destroyed.

A group of Sukhoi Su-24M bombers has hit a large transfer point of IS terrorists in Latakia province, striking the target with high-explosive air bombs, which caused a fire at the installation equipped with underground facilities. The fire caused munitions stored at the facility to detonate.

The target was completely destroyed, Konashenkov said.

An airstrike on a terrorist target near the village of Al-Mastumah in Syria’s northern Idlib province destroyed an IS installation used as a transfer point for militants coming to Syria from other countries.

Source*

Related Topics:

Putin Blows the Whistle on the Who and the Why of ISIS*

Brzezinski to Putin: Stop hitting OUR al-Qaeda or it’s World War III*

Russian Shock and Awe on 60 Terrorist Targets and Kills 300 Terrorists*

U.S. and NATO Launch Disinformation Terror War*

The Beast Revealed: U.S. Celebrates Iranian General’s Death at ISIS Hands*

The Earth is a Battleground between Good and Evil. The Same Battle Goes on Within All of Us.

Intercepted ISIS comms Show ‘growing panic’ after Russian Airstrikes*

Anti-war Protesters in Germany Slam U.S/. Drone Strikes*

Syrian Government Forces Regain Control of ISIS Held Territories*