Schoolgirl Found Hanged after Developing Allergic Reaction to School Wi-Fi*
By Lloyd Burrell
Fifteen-year-old Jenny Fry was found hanged in woodland in June this year. According to her parents she suffered from electromagnetic hypersensitivity (EHS), which caused her to suffer diverse symptoms including tiredness, headaches and bladder problems.
An allergic reaction to Wi-Fi in her school made living miserable
An inquest heard that it was her allergic reaction to her school’s Wi-Fi that made her life a misery. Her mother Debra told the hearing that Jenny was severely affected by the wireless internet connections at Chipping Norton School in Oxfordshire, England, where she was a pupil.
After becoming increasingly distressed by her symptoms, which were never investigated by a doctor, Jenny Fry was found hanged in Brooke Woods, near her home on June 11 this year.
Mrs. Fry and her husband Charles Newman told the Coroners’ Court dealing with the inquest that they believed their daughter became ill because of Wi-Fi radiation exposures. They had removed the internet connection from their own home.
Wi-Fi and children do not mix: ‘Wi-Fi killed my daughter’
The parents told how Jenny would often hide herself in empty classrooms and would only sit in certain seats in lessons so that she would be as far away from the Wi-Fi router as possible.
Speaking after the inquest Mrs. Fry said, “Wi-Fi and children do not mix. I believe that Wi-Fi killed my daughter.”
The teenager’s parents are now campaigning to remove the technology from classrooms.
Jenny died after a ‘cry for help’ – driven to despair by the Wi-Fi exposures
Mrs. Fry explained how Jenny started showing signs of EHS as early as November 2012. She said, “Jenny was getting ill and so was I.
I did some research and found how dangerous Wi-Fi could be so I had it taken out of the house. Both Jenny and I were fine at home but Jenny continued to be ill at school in certain areas.
She was receiving lots of detentions, not for being disruptive in class or misbehaving, but often because she used to take herself out of the classroom to find another room where she was able to work. She took her schoolwork seriously.
How could a school be so cold?
Mrs. Fry is on record saying, “how I took lots of information into school to show the head teacher, but he said there was equally the same information available claiming Wi-Fi was safe. I also had a heated exchange with teachers telling them Jenny was allergic to Wi-Fi and that it made no sense making her take detentions in rooms that were making her ill.”
Jenny was apparently frustrated with her school for the proliferation of Wi-fi. Her mother explained that Jenny died after a ‘cry for help’ because she was driven to despair by her Wi-Fi allergy.
An epidemic in the making – 35% of the population affected by electromagnetic field exposures
More and more people are developing reactions to their cell phones, laptops, tablets and WiFi – which emit a form of non-ionizing radiation called radio frequency radiation, as do microwave ovens. Wired electrical devices are also linked to this condition such as computers household wiring, certain types of lights like neon’s, compact fluorescent light bulbs and even sleeping next to a clock radio electric alarm clock.
There are literally thousands of studies linking these exposures to a long list of diseases including cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and suicide. Professor Magda Havas of Trent University explains, “anywhere between three and five percent of the population has severe electrical sensitivity… There is about 35% of the population who has the symptoms of electrical sensitivity, they may or not realize that they are electrically sensitive.”
Intolerance to electromagnetic fields is a real physical illness just like cancer and heart disease
Many people think that electrical hypersensitivity is an imagined condition, that it is not real. As Dr. Erica Mallery-Blythe explains, “electromagnetic hypersensitivity is a physiological condition not a psychological one.”
Research conducted by French oncology professor Dr. Dominique Belpomme shows intolerance to electromagnetic fields (EMFs) is a real physical illness, just like cancer and heart disease. He explains,
“EMFs provoke major effects in the brain. The most important of these is the opening of the blood-brain barrier. This allows mercury, organochlorines and other pollutants to enter the brain, where they cause various neurodegenerative diseases.”
The symptoms are wide-ranging and often differ for each individual. The more common complaints are insomnia, fatigue, depression, chronic headaches, irritability, cognitive problems, chronic infections, joint pain, and numbness or tingling in the extremities.
The World Health Organization refuses to recognize electromagnetic field sensitivity as a medical condition
Despite this evidence, EHS is not recognized as a medical condition by the World Health Organization. (WHO)
The WHO claims, “there is no scientific basis to link EHS symptoms to EMF [electromotive force] exposure. Further, EHS is not a medical diagnosis, nor is it clear that it represents a single medical problem.”
The WHOs position on this question has been viewed by many independent experts as biased by its close ties to the cellular communications industry. In Sweden, EHS is termed as a disability.
Earlier this year, 190 scientists from 39 nations submitted an appeal to the United Nations, UN member states and the World Health Organization (WHO) requesting they adopt more protective exposure guidelines for EMFs. In the light of the in-action of our governments to protect us from these exposures you need to take action yourself.
How to protect yourself from EMF exposures
Here are some simple steps you can take to protect yourself from EMF exposures:
- Turn off and unplug appliances when not in use.
2. Avoid Wi-Fi networks – especially in the home.
3. Avoid compact fluorescent lighting and lighting which uses a transformer.
4. Replace cordless phones with corded versions
5. Practice safe cell phone use
6. Move your bed 6 inches away from the wall and any potential wiring EMF issues.
Click here for more EMF protection tips.
Wi-Fi should not be allowed in nurseries and schools
Jenny’s parents are now campaigning to remove Wi-Fi from nurseries and schools, and urging the government sponsor research into EHS. Earlier this year, the French government banned Wi-Fi for preschoolers.
Mrs. Fry said, “I intend to carry on my campaign to highlight the dangers of Wi-Fi”.